www.mfdisabled.weebly.com

Monday, November 22, 2010

People say the strangest things

Now this article reminds me of every time I go shopping...
Here is the link to the article, but I have also posted the whole thing bellow for you to read...
http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/living/up-close-personal/people-say-the-strangest-things

People say the strangest things

Fed up of the odd, personal, random, annoying or just plain rude questions total strangers feel able to ask her, Emma Crees has decided to take retaliatory action

Wheelchair forestThis may sound bizarre, but I’m giving serious thought to going up to strangers on the street and asking them very personal questions! I don’t know why but people see my wheelchair and ask me all sorts of personal questions. I figured I should take advantage of this new craze to ask questions of strangers.

Questions about why I’m in a wheelchair are common. People have wondered, “what happened to you?” and I’ve not realised what they meant.

I was checking if my clothes were done up, did I have food round my mouth when they clarified “the wheelchair” as if it was obvious.

A man on holiday asked me “from what point down don’t you work?” I sat there staring at him, then eventually told him that I couldn’t really say. He was surprised by that, but I was shocked by the question.

When I’m out people stop me to ask if I know where Shopmobility is. I understand that a powerchair-user is an obvious person to ask. Or where my chair is from – I’ve done the same to other disabled people as I’m always on the look out for cool wheelchairs. The man who then went on to ask, “as you’re by yourself how will you manage if you need the loo?” went too far though! I snapped “perfectly well” then took off.

It’s not just me either. A friend was asked how she had sex in a wheelchair. She said she didn’t. We’re still not sure if the person got what she meant.

I’ve heard of disabled people being told they should wear black armbands so they stand out, and of others who were told not to have children “in case they’re like you.”

One of the bad things about all the things people say is the way it takes an ordinary day and makes it all about my disability. I’m doing my shopping and it’s all fine until I suddenly have to deal with a staff member saying, “I hope you get better soon.”

Personally, I don’t want a cure. There’s nothing wrong with my being in a wheelchair!

The worst thing is the way I always think of the good response ages afterwards. Once on a train with my dad he was asked about me. One of the questions was “can she hear and speak?” I wish I’d replied, “I did just hear how rude you were.”

I answer most people but sometimes I’d prefer not to. I don’t know how to stop it and that makes me mad! Hopefully one day it’ll stop but in the meantime if you see a wheelchair-user going up to people asking if they need help, when they last had sex or such like, it’s probably me. Come say hi (just don’t ask silly questions!)


..................................
The only thing I have personally to add is when strangers or sometimes people I know pat me on the head.... like WTF.... I am not your pet I am a person...

I think for me personally because I only use my wheelchair for longer distances there is lot of our family and friends who have not seen me using it. And then when I suddenly turn up with it they seam stumped...lol
But patting me on the head to say hello or good bye is not exceptable because of this.

Also because I am a little person... or as I like to put it a Midget which most little people hate being called. I often get mistaken as a child and people talk to me in that high pitched voice you use when talking to children... its so annoying.
One time I was out with my mum at a car show and I was taking photos with my big Digital SLR and this lady said "who would give there child such an expensive camera" so I turned around and said 'this child saved and bought this expensive camera herself'... she looked so shocked... People should not judge or at least do it quietly so I can not overhear...
Now though I have more tattoos and 3 piercings in my face, so most people now start treating me like a child then while looking at me realise they have made a mistake...lol
Its sad that it takes tattoos and piercings to get people to treat me like and adult... but I did not get them because of that I got them because I like them and wanted them I have always been the one to try and stand out...

1 comment:

  1. I like your article and it really gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on the web
    Hearing aid

    ReplyDelete